Pages

Back to Jay Scott Photography Home

Apr 30, 2012

Saskatoon String Players

On fourteen hours notice, while discussing upcoming events in life with our small group, I was told about the plans of Leon and Sandra's eldest son, Brendan to photograph the string players at the Saskatoon Christian School. All six of their children play instruments and sound great when I have heard them. I was invited to shoot as well as his experience is growing and in a 50 minute lunch hour getting photos of twelve students and group shots. Brendan wasn't able to come, but Sandra did and shot a number of group photos as I shot individuals. I was glad to help and to have hands to help me be as efficient as possible with my time and shooting.


When I arrived I thought we had full use of the stage. Thankfully I learned that a group would be practicing at noon before I was all set up. Backstage was fully open to us and a perfect window on an overcast day provided a perfect soft, on axis, fill light that saved me setting up another stand.

The largest obstacle was the volume of the practicing group on the other side of the curtain. Guitar, drums, choir, piano, bass all playing "How He Loves Us" by the David Crowder Band:


They sounded good, in fact, I thought better than the above video of the writer, to the point that the song was still stuck in my head when I woke up in the middle of the night. The trouble was that I have enough trouble communicating with a subject from behind the camera with my weak voice without a full volume band. This was managed just fine by the incredible attitude and patience of those I was photographing. Such maturity and manners for their age. It was a pleasure to be their photographer for an hour.


I hope to have more to post soon, but am waiting for their parents' approval before I place their children's faces on the internet. I hope I have future opportunities to photograph these talented people.

No comments:

Post a Comment