Pages

Back to Jay Scott Photography Home

Apr 21, 2012

Mango Curried Chicken


So, typically Angie is the one to post recipes but since I came up with tonight's supper using a few recipes I saw online as guidelines, it is my turn.

 

Ingredients:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 medium mangoes peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes
1 white onion coarsely chopped
1/2 red onion coarsely chopped
1 green bell pepper coarsely chopped
1 coloured bell pepper coarsely chopped
1 can of bamboo shoots
5 cloves of garlic
3-5 tablespoons of minced ginger
2 tablespoons of oil for browning chicken
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1-3 generous tablespoons of red curry paste
1 cup of chicken stock
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro

Method:

Start by browning the chicken breasts. Cook them so that they are just finished being pink in the middle, remove them from the heat and set aside. Cook the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger until they are just starting to become tender. While they are cooking prepare your sauce which consists of the coconut milk, soy sauce, curry paste and chicken stock.

Cut your cooked chicken into small pieces. Add the sauce, mango and bamboo shoots to the vegetables and simmer for 2-4 min. Add back in the cut up chicken. At this point the thickness is up to you. I prepared this with jasmine rice with the intention of making it a medium to soak up sauce so we left a little bit thinner. We did still need to remove some of the sauce, mix it with cornstarch and stir it back into thicken it up to our desired consistency. After that, stir in the cilantro and serve over rice.

It could've been a little bit spicier so you may want to add more curry or another form of heat if that is what you like. We tend to like things pretty spicy.

I was going for a dish that tastes very similar to a curry that I have had at Royal Thai in Saskatoon. I have been craving it for some time and I think I got it as close as I could ever hope to get it on the first try and am, to be perfectly honest, quite proud of it. My craving for that dish has been thoroughly satisfied with what I cooked this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment