Pages

Back to Jay Scott Photography Home

Oct 28, 2014

Paul, Barb, Emma, Olivia and Bailey on Campus

  Photograph Autumn Session with Friends by Jay Scott on 500px

It was two years ago since I had the privilege of photographing this family of dear friends. The older I get the more often I ponder how time flies.

  Photograph Olivia by Jay Scott on 500px

So often I have quite a bit of commentary to add to posts full of photos but this time I think they will speak for themselves.

  Photograph Emma by Jay Scott on 500px

I cannot believe how much Emma has grown up in just the last little while. Braces off, become so much taller, and into that next phase of life where things change so much. This might be advanced age talking, but I don't remember middle school being quite as difficult with regards to appearance and popularity as it is for kids, now.

  Photograph Olivia by Jay Scott on 500px

We had already postponed the photos two times because of bad weather and someone being sick. Of course, I began getting my first cold in two years the night before our session. Today is the first day, 11 days after it's set in, that I feel almost normal. However, I was not going to let a little sore throat make us postpone the last possible warm day of the year for us to get these photos done outside.

  Photograph Paul and Barb by Jay Scott on 500px

I know that I missed a few of the shots I meant to get because of my sore throat and foggy head but I'm pretty sure that we still all had a good time and I know that I was happy with the results.

The above photo was a stretch for me. I don't do well with low contrast, washed out photos. Normally I can keep the flare under control but the light coming through that shrub was both beautiful and contrast destroying but it did make for a lovely setting at that time of day.

  Photograph Olivia by Jay Scott on 500px

Credit must go where credit is due. Without the skillful assistance of my friend and fellow photographer, Gerald Murray, I would not have been able to have added the extra edge that I did that day. He's also a very fun guy that adds a nice dose of comedy. Something I did not have that day.

  Photograph Emma by Jay Scott on 500px

I'm happy to say that I will be adding to my portfolio a few shots from our session together. I would still like to go back, get the shots I missed and do some more inside since we didn't really take the greatest advantage of the nice interior architecture of the University.

  Photograph Emma and Olivia by Jay Scott on 500px

  Photograph Emma and Bailey by Jay Scott on 500px

I was really happy when they arrived and saw that Bailey was with them. Of course, I have a soft spot for dogs and she is just the sweetest. If only we could get her to teach Kiwi how to greet people at the door with a friendly tail wagging and a closed bark-hole. :)

  Photograph Emma, Olivia and Bailey by Jay Scott on 500px

  Photograph Olivia and Bailey by Jay Scott on 500px

  Photograph Paul and Barb by Jay Scott on 500px



  Photograph Autumn Session with Friends by Jay Scott on 500px

It was really nice to have a photo session at the optimum time of day. The weather was so warm. How often do we get +20°C near the end of October? Even the breeze felt warm and in made for some of my favorite photos with the girls' hair blowing nicely in the breeze. I had it all timed out for when the sun would hit each building and be glinting through each corridor between the buildings and, in my opinion, we hit each location at the perfect time and I got exactly what I was looking for in regards to the natural light.

I look forward to doing many more with these dear friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment